Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Imperatives From Psalm 37, Part 2

"Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity." Psalm 37:1

The second imperative in verse one, says "neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity." Oh, my! I am more guilty of this one than the first. I'm sure you've never done this, but there have been times when my sinful self has asked the question, "Why does that person seem to be doing so well when she isn't even trying to life for God? Here I am trying to do right and I'm struggling!"

I blush to admit that I've ever thought this way because I'm sure none of you ever have. God looked through time, saw what I was going to do and wrote a verse just to tell me, "Don't do that!"

"Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the LORD all the day long."
Proverbs 23:17

The problem is, I focus my thoughts on the wrong thing. Instead of focusing on God, I look at the people around me. If I concentrate on my relationship with the Lord, I have plenty enough to keep my busy without becoming envious of the workers of iniquity.

These first two were the negative commands. Now that we've looked at a couple of things God told us not to do, tomorrow we will begin looking at those things God told us to do!

No comments: